Table of Contents
Galaxy Fibre (Galaxy), a division of Galaxy Broadband Communications, Inc. provides internet, IPTV and telephony services to consumer and business customers across Canada.
Application and Scope
Definition of Personal Information
We require some Personal Information to create and maintain customer files in order to provide services and products to our clients. Personal information includes any information about an identifiable individual. For Galaxy customers, such information may include, but is not limited to, your name, address, email address, credit and banking information, billing records, services and equipment you use, phone number, date of birth and technical and customer care related records. Information about your computer hardware and software may be automatically collected by Galaxy and can include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses.
The Galaxy Fibre website may use “cookies” to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize Galaxy pages, or register with Galaxy site or services, a cookie helps Galaxy to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to the same Galaxy website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the Galaxy features that you customized.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Galaxy services or websites you visit.
Collecting Personal Information
We collect information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Wherever possible, we collect the information directly from you, with your consent. In some cases, and when consent is given, we may obtain information from other sources, such as agents acting on Galaxy’s behalf for delivery of services or credit reporting agencies for credit evaluation purposes.
In most cases, your personal information is collected from the Subscriber Agreement when you sign up for services with Galaxy, either electronically from our website, from paper agreements completed by you, or over the phone.
Use of Personal Information
We use personal information to establish and maintain relationships with our customers and to provide services and support to them. We use this information for the following purposes:
- Creating, establishing and administering customer accounts and using the information relevant to the performance of the services rendered to customers
- To provide the services requested and improve and expand our products and services
- Administration, billing, establishing credit and collections in relation to the services provided
- Protecting against fraud, inaccurate records and authenticating the identify of customers contacting Galaxy by, for example phone or electronically
- For improving customer service and internal training purposes
- To personalize the user experience and provide personalized products and services, recommendations, promotions or advertisements
- For communication with our customers, including sending account statements, special offers, conducting customer surveys
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements
Galaxy does not disclose personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services, such as providing our client mailing lists to other companies. Galaxy will not collect or use personal information for any other purpose without first obtaining further consent.
Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as long as required or otherwise permitted by law. Galaxy will establish minimum and maximum retention periods and procedures for maintaining and destroying personal information.
In most cases, we ask the customer to specifically consent to the collection, use, or disclosure of their personal information through various means, including written agreements and forms, orally or electronically. Generally, consent for collection, use and disclosure of personal information is implied by subscribing to Galaxy’s products and services. When dealing with certain legal or security issues or when collecting a debt, Galaxy may be required by law to disclose certain information without obtaining consent.
Opt-out and Unsubscribe
We respect your privacy and give you an opportunity to opt-out of receiving announcements of certain information. Users may opt-out of receiving any or all communications from Galaxy by contacting us here:
Mail: 4 – 4020A Sladeview Crescent, Mississauga, Ontario, L5L 6B1
Disclosure of Personal Information
Under certain circumstances, Galaxy will disclose personal information:
- When we are required to do so, for example, if a court issues a subpoena
- When the customer has consented to the disclosure
- When the services we are providing the customer requires us to give the information to third parties
- Where it is necessary to establish or collect fees
- If we retain other professionals, agents, contractors, or service providers to assist us in completing our work for you, or to act on your behalf directly
- If the information is already publicly known
In these circumstances, we will only disclose such personal information as is required in the circumstances.
Updating Personal Information
Since Galaxy uses personal information to provide services and support to clients, it is important that the information is accurate and up-to-date. If during the course of providing services and support, the personal information that is required needs to be updated or modified, Galaxy will attempt to contact the customer in order to make the changes. Also, if the customer requests that their personal information be changed or updated, Galaxy will make the appropriate changes.
Personal Information and Security
Galaxy takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect personal information are:
- Premises security
- Restricted file access to sensitive personal information, such as credit and billing information
- Technological safeguards such as security software and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access
- Internal password and security policies
If Galaxy uses the services of any third party to process or store personal information, or to provide services, we will enter into an agreement which requires the third party to protect this personal information in a manner that is acceptable to Galaxy.
Access To and Correction of Personal Information
A customer may request access to any personal information Galaxy has about them.
Galaxy reserves the right to confirm the identity of the person seeking access to personal information before complying with any access requests. In some cases, Galaxy can deny access to personal information when:
- Granting the customer access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy
- To protect Galaxy’s rights and property
If Galaxy holds personal information about a customer that the customer can establish is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, Galaxy will take reasonable steps to correct it in a timely manner.
Galaxy Fibre Employee Privacy
All Galaxy employees have an “Employee File”. The personal information contained in this file is collected, used and communicated generally for the following purposes:
- Decision making regarding hiring, duties, training, discipline, promotion and retention
- Recording and determining your eligibility for participation in various GBC benefit plans, including life insurance coverage, personal and maternity leave, and the receipt of short or long term disability and the managing of such participation
- Recording and maintaining your personal information, attendance record, bonuses record, payroll and timesheets, performance evaluations, performance improvement plans, and maintaining any other necessary information for establishing, managing or terminating the employment relationship, as well as the determination of the applicable income and benefits
All Employee Files are kept in a locked and secured location that is only accessible to relevant Management, Human Resources and the Finance Department.
Since GBC regularly reviews all of its policies and procedures, this policy may by changed or modified at any time, without notification to customers. These changes will be made available as soon as is practical and posted to our website.